Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Hearing God's Call

So this weekend I went to a Public Christian Retreat at a camp about an hour from my church. And first you need to hear a back story.
For the past year or so I've made the blue prints for my life. First, I finish high school, then go to college and meet my future husband there and get a degree in elementary education. Then teach for a while. And raise a couple of munchkins and retire later on. I had it all planned out. But this weekend changed everything.
For the past couple years, when missionaries have come to visit my church, I thought to myself, "I couldn't do what they do. I have my life planned out, I don't have time for this. But it would be cool to go on a missions trip just for fun." But I felt God tugging on my heart, saying "This is what I want you to do." But I said no. I was afraid, I didn't want to surrender my time and life to God for full-time service. I already had a busy life, I couldn't possibly do it.
I've thought that and told myself those lies for years. But no more! This weekend was about how to give people the Gospel. How to be witness. And in the last session of the day, I felt God urge me. I felt a literal tugging on my heart. It was gentle, but it was there. There enough to know that this was what God wanted me to do. He was calling me.
For so long, I had been ignoring God's call me to be missionary. But on Sunday night (I made the decision on Monday afternoon), a missionary to Grenada came to visit. And that's where I felt God begin to call again. And I really wanted to do it this time. I wanted to go on a missions trip. Every time that a missionary to a third-world country came to visit, I felt a little bit of God's call. Those people just bless my heart. So when I saw the slideshow of Grenada, I just started to cry. I want to go so bad!

The point of this post is this: if God is calling you to do something, do it. It may be that He wants you to be missionary or doctor or teacher. I still feel like God wants me to be a teacher, but I can do that as a missionary. You will reap more blessings if you do what God is asking you to do. He commands us all to be a missionary (Matthew 28:19), but we don't have to go to a different country to do that. He just tells us to spread the Gospel. Whether it be through teaching, doctoring, or singing. Whatever God wants you to do, do it. Don't do it because I told you or your pastor told you or all your friends are wanting to be missionaries: do it because God wants you to do it.

1 comment:

I love hear comments. Drop by again, and remember to not swear and not criticize others.